View the livestream here on bostonmiddlepassage.org
The dedication of Boston’s Middle Passage Port Marker will take place on Sunday
August 22, 2021 August 29, 2021 from 2:00 to 3:00pm on the east end of Long Wharf.
The ceremony will feature a land acknowledgement by Elizabeth Solomon, member of the Massachusett Tribe at Ponkapoag and Assistant Director of Academic Affairs and Fellowship Programs at Harvard’s School for Public Health, as well as traditional balafon performance by Balla Kouyaté, poetry, and the reading of names of enslaved members of Boston’s oldest churches.
Brief remarks will be delivered by:
- L’Merchie Frazier, Director of Education & Interpretation at the Museum of African American History (MAAH)
- Dr. Vivian R. Johnson, Professor Emerita of Education at Boston University
- Leon Wilson, President & CEO of the Museum of African American History (MAAH)
- Michael Creasey, Superintendent of the National Parks of Boston
- The Honorable Byron Rushing, fmr. Massachusetts State Representative (‘83-’18)